Beef Barley Soup in the slow cooker or on the stovetop, you are going to love this hearty soup! Perfect for anytime of the year- but during the winter this is an especially great comfort meal!
Recipes by: laughingspatula.com
Servings: 10 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds cubed stew meat – I used chuck roast
- 1 cup onion – diced
- 1 cup carrots – diced
- 1 cup mushrooms – sliced
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup uncooked pearl barley
- salt and pepper to taste
- In large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil until shimmery but not smoking. About a minute.
- Sprinkle beef pieces with salt and pepper. Add to hot skillet leaving undisturbed for 2-3 minutes until a brown crust forms. Turn beef over and sear the other side. (you may have to do this in two batches depending on the size of your pan). READ MORE